Would you like to work for a great employer? Enable Ireland is an organisation that makes a real difference to the lives of children and adults with disabilities in Ireland, and ranked 8th in the healthcare division of the Irish Independent's Best Employers 2022 list.
We are currently seeking a highly-motivated Horticulturalist/Retail Assistant to join our Enable Ireland Garden & Gift Store in Sandymount, Dublin.
Contract Type: This is a permanent contract.
Contract Hours: Variable hours, 19 per week.
Salary Scale: €12.00 - €14.00 per hour.
Overview of the Post:
To support the Garden Centre management team and colleagues in the smooth operations of the Enable Ireland Garden Centre and Gift Store. The Garden Centre generates income which supports the delivery of services to people with disabilities.
Overview of Duties & Responsibilities:
• To ensure that a high standard of service to customers is delivered at all times, including answering queries, giving advice and guidance on product selection as required.
• Providing customers with a knowledgeable and friendly service, and to answer any queries they have in relation to the plant stock.
• To be familiar with the range and mix of horticultural products and to monitor the level of stock.
• Monitor and maintain the plants and gardening dry goods ensuring quality and standards are maintained to the highest level.
• Ensure appropriate care and maintenance of plants including watering, feeding, planting, etc.
• To support the manager in relation to the ordering of plant stock, and to assist in regular stock takes of same as requested.
• To receive, check, log and store the delivery of plant stock where required.
• To inform co-ordinator/management immediately of any/all incidents/accidents and to record these.
• To deal responsibly with customer queries and complaints.
• To operate the till and to ensure that cash is managed in compliance with company policy, and to record stock movements in and out on the cash register software.
• To take responsibility for the opening and closing the premises and ensuring the security of the premises and stock as required.
• Keep up to date in your specialist area and in developments in the Garden Centre horticultural sector.
• To report any security related instances, discrepancies or problems to the relevant manager.
• To complete all administration and financial work in accordance with Enable Ireland policies and procedures.
• To contribute to good team work in sharing knowledge and skills and supporting colleagues to ensure that the business runs efficiently and effectively.
• To drive company vehicles for customer/supplier deliveries and pickups.
The successful candidate will have:
• FETAC level 5 qualification in Horticulture or equivalent.
• Recent, relevant, experience of working in the sector.
• Clean class B driver's licence.
• Experience in a public-facing role.
• Minimum of 1 year experience in a Horticultural retail environment.
• Experience of stock management procedures.
• Experience working in a commercial enterprise.
If you believe you would fit the role then please submit your application today.
As a staff member of Enable Ireland, you will have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
• Excellent training opportunities
• Generous annual leave entitlements
• Pay adjusted Maternity Leave
• Pay adjusted Adoptive Leave
• Pay adjusted Paternity Leave
• Wellbeing benefits
Closing date for applications: 19th March 2023.
A panel may be formed from this vacancy for any similar vacancies, which may arise during the next 12 months.
Enable Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.
• The post will be subject to reference checks and may be subject to Garda vetting/police clearance, as relevant.
• Due to the large volume of applications, we are not in the position to provide individual feedback to applicants who are not shortlisted for interview.
• Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants from all sections of the community.
• The above information serves only as a guide to the advertised position. Enable Ireland, at its discretion, reserves the right to change this prior to appointment.
• Please review the Enable Ireland's External Data Protection Notice available at for details on how Enable Ireland processes applicant's personal information. Please note if you are invited for interview, we will share your personal data with: 1) Any virtual service provider we use to host the interview; and 2) the interview panel (if applicable). Your information will be stored for this purpose in line with our retention policy.
By clicking on the Continue to application button you will be directed to the careers section of our website where you can download an application form/job description/person specification and will find instructions on how to apply.